Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Red Rock Hotel




Red Rock Hotel has a popular Chinese restaurant at level 2 (first floor). If a wheelchair user goes there, then she must be prepared for a very unfriendly environment.

There is a step ramp in front of the hotel's main entrance. But it was haphazardly built and probably meant more for heavy luggage than for wheelchairs. Further more, it was partially blocked by the bell service table (see video).

As you enter the hotel lobby, you will see that there is a very small lift on the left and a coffee house on the right. A poorly designed toilet for the disabled is located along the corridor next to the coffee house. There is no sign indicating the location of this toilet. I found it by accident the last time I was in the hotel.

It is not easy going to this toilet. First you have to enter the toilet, that means taking a step down. (In the video you will see that I turn my wheelchair around so that I can use the bigger hind wheels to go down. That is a safe way of going down a step.) Then I have to turned a very tight corner, before I can find the toilet for the disabled.

The toilet is rather small and without any extra fittings that are needed by disabled people. To me, it is not a toilet for disabled people. Placing the universal disabled logo on the toilet door is a sere abuse of the logo.

The worst problem comes when a wheelchair user wants to leave the toilet. How to overcome the step at the entrance? My advice to any wheelchair user who wants to use this toilet is to ask two (yes TWO) persons to assist you. You need one person hold the door open from the outside, the other help you to turn the tight corner and tilt your wheelchair so that the front wheels could get on to the step. Then the person behind you needs to help lift up your wheelchair and push you forward on to the higher level. No wheelchair user should go to this toilet all by herself.


(Note: The toilet (I only know the men's toilet) at the Chinese restaurant (at first floor) is hopelessly impossible for wheelchair user.)


1 comment:


  1. I simply wanted to appreciate you yet again. I am not sure what I would have used without the type of information shared by you directly on such a subject. This was a very alarming setting in my view, however , spending time with a skilled mode you handled that made me to cry for fulfillment. I am just happy for this information and thus hope you are aware of a great
    job you are doing teaching most people using a blog. I know that you’ve never got to know all of us.
    red rocks hotel

    ReplyDelete