Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Misleading Pavement

I went to Fort Cornwallis on 13 Oct. 2015. On the way I had to move my wheelchair on a pavement (see map). I was happy to see a kerb ramp at the start of the pavement. But when I reached the other end, I could not find any kerb ramp to get down. This is bad practice. If there is a kerb ramp at one end of a pavement, there MUST be a corresponding kerb ramp at the other end. Or else a wheelchair user could get stranded at the end that does not have kerb ramp.

There are some photos I took of the pavement. It was not properly maintained. Since it is at an area where there are many tourists and visitors, surely the local authority should pay more attention to it.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Tan,

    Firstly, this is the first time I read a blog from a person who really is a wheelchair user. I was searching in Google for Kerb ramp and i found your blog. This is first in Malaysia

    I read your comment and indeed every where in the whole Malaysia, the pedestrian walkway is done without proper planning , many are done haphazardly especially worse the pedestrian walkway done by the Jabatan Kerja Raya. High kerb ramp and no curb ramp at all and sometimes dangerous instead of facilitate the public.

    What we need is more people to write in blogs about pedestrian walkways with facilities for wheelchair person and disable such as kerb ramp in and outside building.

    These effort can raise conciousness to the public , local authorities and the relevant department.

    What you are done with your blogs is commendable. Keep up the good work Mr tan

    ReplyDelete